Annual seminar 2012
November 29, 2012 Andreas Lundell Events
Modeling, optimization and control were the topics of the plenary lectures at the annual seminar in Optimization and Systems Engineering 2012 taking place at Åbo Akademi University in Turku on November 29. Keynote speaker was professor Stratos Pistikopoulos from Imperial College London, UK, one of the members of the International Scientific Panel of the OSE group.
Prof. Pistikopoulos held the following two keynote presentations:
- Multi-parametric programming and explicit model predictive control – a progress report
- Modeling, optimization and advanced control of biomedical systems
In addition to theoretical advances, he also illustrated some interesting applications in anesthesia and chemotherapy.
Professor Pistikopoulos is one of the most cited researchers in process systems engineering. In total, he is the author of eight books and over 250 scientific research papers.
In addition, he has been the recipient of several awards and recognitions; the latest was the Computing in Chemical Engineering Award of the Computing and Systems Technology (CAST) Division of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE).
Presentations at the seminar:
Morning session, chairman Professor Tapio Westerlund:
- Tapio Westerlund – Opening statement
- Stratos Pistikopoulos – Multi-parametric programming and explicit model predictive control – a progress report
- Stratos Pistikopoulos – Modeling, optimization and advanced control of biomedical systems
Afternoon session, chairman Dr Andreas Lundell:
- Axel Nyberg – The quadratic assignment problem
- Otto Nissfolk – A metaheuristic optimization algorithm for binary quadratic problems
- Anders Skjäl – Two approaches to underestimating quadratic functions
- Johan Pensar – A Bayesian score for LDAGs
- Amir Shirdel – System identification in the presence of trends and outliers
- Mikael Nyberg – State splitting in continuous time STN-models