Almost complete now, this is a list of all published books by Hauerwas, excluding only edited works. I have grouped the books under various headings, and all the titles of his essays are listed in the post on each book so you can easily search for a particular title using the search function on the site. I’ll be adding more themed guides as need for the arises. Anyone who wants to contribute one of those, feel free to contact me!
The Obvious Place to Start
- The Hauerwas Reader (2001) – A big collection of articles that cover most of the themes in Hauerwas’s production. A brilliant collection, and it includes a guide to further reading.
- The Blackwell Companion to Christian Ethics (with Samuel Wells) (2004, 2nd ed 2011) – A work that is mostly written by students of Hauerwas. Besides ”Hauerwasian” treatments of most ”ethical” themes one can imagine, it contains a long introduction written by Hauerwas and Wells that is a convenient short overview of Hauerwas’s mature position.
Most of Hauerwas’s books are more or less loosely themed collection of essays. There are a few books that are ”proper” books though. In chronological order:
- Character and the Christian Life: A Study in Theological Ethics (1975)
- The Peaceable Kingdom: A Primer in Christian Ethics (1983)
- Naming the Silences: God, Medicine, and the Problem of Suffering (1990)
- With the Grain of the Universe: The Church’s Witness and Natural Theology (2001)
- Matthew (2006)
- Hannah’s Child. A Theologians Memoir (2010)
The Long List of Collections of Essayes.
In Chronological order:
- Vision and Virtue: Essays in Christian Ethical Reflection (1974)
- Truthfulness and Tragedy (1977)
- A Community of Character (1981)
- Against the Nations: War and Survival in a Liberal Society (1985)
- Suffering Presence: Theological Reflections on Medicine, the Mentally Handicapped, and the Church (1986)
- Christian Existence Today: Essays on Church, World, and Living in Between (1988)
- After Christendom: How the Church Is to Behave If Freedom, Justice, and a Christian Nation Are Bad Ideas (1991)
- Unleashing the Scripture: Freeing the Bible from Captivity to America (1993)
- Dispatches from the Front: Theological Engagements with the Secular (1994)
- In Good Company: The Church as Polis (1995)
- Wilderness Wanderings: Probing Twentieth Century Theology and Philosophy (1997)
- Sanctify Them in Truth: Holiness Exemplified (1998)
- A Better Hope: Resources for a church confronting capitalism, democracy and postmodernity (2000)
- Performing the Faith: Bonhoeffer and the Practice of Non-Violence (2004)
- That State of the University: Academic Knowledge and the Knowledge of God (2007)
- Working with Words: On Learning to Speak Christian (2011)
- War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity (2011)
Books of Prayers, Sermons and Meditations
- Prayers Plainly Spoken (2003)
- Disrupting Time: Sermons, Prayers and Sundries (2004)
- Cross-Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words (2005)
- Cross-Shattered Church: Reclaiming the Theological Heart of Preaching (2009)
Books written as a collaboration between Hauerwas and another writer, either so that all texts are signed by both writers, or so that the book consists of a dialogue between the two writers.
- Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony (with William Willimon) (1989)
- Where Resident Aliens Live (with William Willimon) (1996)
- Christians Among the Virtues: Theological Conversations with Ancient and Modern Ethics (with Charles Pinches) (1997)
- The Truth About God: The Ten Commandments in Christian Life (With William Willimon) (1999)
- Christianity, Democracy, and the Radical Ordinary: Conversations between a Radical Democrat and a Christian (with Romand Coles) (2008)
- Living Gently in a Violent World: The Prophetic Witness of Weakness (With Jean Vanier) (2008)
Thank you very much for this guide, Mr Hagman! i study theology at Orthodox university in Moscow and explore books by S. Hauerwas. Your guide was really useful for my research!